Kontrol S2 MK2: Recording the Microphone
In the default configuration the mic signal from Kontrol S2 remains in the internal soundcard of the S2. When you press the MIC ENGAGE button at the front of the controller, the mic audio is fed directly into the main output. As a result the mic input is not recorded. In internal mixing mode, which is used by Kontrol S2, only the audio signals that are available to the software mixer of Traktor are recorded.
However, a little trick will allow you to record the mic. You need to route the microphone signal back into the software mixer to Traktor. Perform the following steps:
- Make sure that the MIC GAIN knob at the rear of S2 is turned completely to the left and then connect your microphone to the MIC input.
If you are using a condenser microphone you need to connect a phantom power adapter between your microphone
and the S2 because the S2 cannot supply the phantom power needed to drive the mic.
- Open the Preferences/Input Routing dialog. Select the microphone input of the S2 in section Input Aux.
As the microphone signal is only mono it is sufficient to select box L (Mono) in the list.
- Keep the Preferences/Input Routing dialog open and press the MIC ENGAGE button at the front of Kontrol S2.
The Microphone LED in the middle section of the controller should now be on.
- Speak or sing into your mic and open the MIC GAIN knob at the rear of Kontrol S2 until the level meter in section Input Aux shows a sufficient level.
- Once you have made these changes to the Input Routing you need to control the microphone level with the AUX knob at the very right of the crossfader panel. If this panel isn’t visible activate the checkbox Crossfader (Preferences/Mixer/Mixer Layout). In order for the microphone to work, the MIC ENGAGE button at the front of S2 must also be on.
Setting the Mic Level with the Crossfader
You may find it a bit cumbersome to use the mouse to get the microphone level right. An easy way to solve this is adding the following mapping commands to the default mapping of the S2:
The first two commands are assigned to the crossfader of the S2. Which one of the two mapped commands gets executed when you move the crossfader, depends on the value of modifier #1. This modifier is set to value 1 while one of the two SHIFT buttons is hold (mapping commands 3 and 4).
If no SHIFT buttons is pressed the crossfader works as in the default mapping. If one of the SHIFT buttons is pressed, the crossfader controls the level of the microphone by using the mapping command
Please make sure that option Override factory map is disabled for both modifier conditions. This ensures that the SHIFT button keep working in a normal way for all other controls of the S2.
For both mapping commands assigned to Center.XFader you must activate Override factory map. Only then the crossfader has its new functionality which is now dependent on the state of the SHIFT buttons.